Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gadget, Past as Future - get back review


I've beat it a few days ago (it only takes about 2 hours), and I had been trying to write something here since then... But I just can't. I loved it and I can't sum up exactly how good it is.
It suffers from not being an actual game, more like an interactive movie, but it managed to create a fascinating universe and intriguing story, with lots of eye candy. It works on so many levels and it clearly influenced and reminds me of so many other games with its design (Half Life2, Bioshock, Fahrenheit, Last Express, FF7 or Lost Odyssey, heck even Shenmue...) One of the most original pieces I have had the delight to experience.
I realise haven't talked much about what it is: it plays as a first person adventure, like Myst, but with no real puzzles or gameplay. You just click around the places which you can see at leisure (including the various gadgets that give name to the game) and certain objects to progress the story. Many cutscenes intertwine the action and this, coupled with the setting, is where it shines. The story revolves is great, deep and philosophical, free for interpretation and lots of freak out sequences.
Lots of attention to detail as one would expect from a Japanese team.

*/10

Originally published July 10, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment